Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Response to "Toward New Media Texts"

This article was interesting and also confusing in some aspects. For example, on pg. 69, I was frustrated due the fact that I had to reread several selections just to begin to understand the definitions being explained. These definitions were supposed to make the text easier to read; however, they presented a more difficult front for me. I became bogged down with the repetetive nature of the definitions, therefore, causing me to become aggravated and unmotivated to continue the reading. In contrast, on page76, clear and concise definitions are presented. This more "elementary" definition was much understandable and appreciated than those mentioned earlier.

A more positive aspect of the reading was that there was a reflection sheet for the composer and the viewer. I utilize this strategy during my teaching lessons by having my students write suggestions or comments about my teaching. After I teach my lesson, I also write a reflection containing positive and negative parts of my lesson in my own opinion. By using all of these suggestions/comments, I can improve or enhance my lesson before the next time I teach it. I really value other's suggestions on my work becuase it is not as biased towards or perhaps as difficult on the lesson as I am myself.

The next aweosme idea addressed or portrayed in the reading was the continuum on the evaluation sheets along with the comment section. I really like the idea of having a continuum instead of only set in stone options. By having this continuum, composers and viewers alike are allowed to place their score either directly on the provided sections or somewhere in between. This contiuum provides for the opportunity for the score to be either precisely in the middle of two provided sections or closer to one or the other depending on their view of the project being evaulated. In addition, there is also a comment section which allows the person to explain why he or she placed their mark where they did. Also, in this section, suggestions for improvement or encouragement can be written.

I also really liked the idea of having a knowledgeable student introduce the concept of creating a web page. I feel like this is a very good strategy because it places the explanation on the student's level. Supplemental guidance for creating the web page was mentioned in the form of a tutorial on the internet. However, my favorite aspect of the article was the idea that the teacher should participate in the web page creating/design assignment along with the student if they do not know the "rudiments of web design." Students will feel more comfortable with questions or problems that they may have during this assignment when they see that their teacher also does not know what to do beforehand. By experiencing this assignment with the students, the classroom is building a stronger sense of community.

No comments:

Post a Comment